Ormond Plantation on the river at Destrehan Louisiana
Built about 1787, Ormond is one of the earliest, and now, one of the oldest sugar plantations left along the Mississippi River. The two story brick-between-post six-bay main part of the house was built with plastered brick columns on the ground floor and wooden columns on the second floor gallery and with a traditional hipped roof. The taller two wings, generally referred to as garconnieres, were built, it is thought, somewhere about 1830.
The Reception Room
The home sits amidst live oaks with a two or three acre lawn in a bend of the river, near the business center of Destrehan a charming residential community about 25 miles north of the city and 9 or so miles from the New Orleans Airport.
Built by the d’Trepagnier family, through the 19th and early 20th centuries the home was associated with many other prominent families of early Louisiana such as, the Butler family, a marriage into the Destrehan family, and later owned by the LaPlace family, who in 1900 sold it to five Schexnaydre brothers, all of whom lived there with their families.
Largest dining room runs from the front to the garden
After several years of neglect, through the depression and WW II, it was not until 1943 when a local family, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Brown of Brown’s Velvet Dairy in New Orleans, purchased the property, added modern amenities and conveniences, and restored it to be much as it is today. They are credited for connecting the garconniere’s to the main house. A subsequent owner did additional work and made changes, sold it again, until it was acquired by the current family in 1996.
There are 16 acres, several outbuildings, including a horse stable and utility buildings.
The home is open to visitors on tour, with a restaurant, a full liquor licensed bar, six bed-and-breakfast rooms, and extensive wedding venue facilities.
Offered turn-key at $2,900,000
Listed by Ernesto Caldeira & David Abner Smith – 504.944.3605
The smaller German room
An original early Federal mantel in a front bedroom
Each bedroom has its own bath
All of the first floor rooms open to the gardens
The Pavillion connects to the restaurant, bar, and to the patio
The rear 8 acres are used to stable horses and could be developed